Kristen’s Top 10 Bands to See SXSW 2012
We started the morning in Wilcox, Arizona. Drove 12 hours to get to Austin and immediately went to the Pure Volume House for its Late Night show featuring LMN faves Dead Sara and Foxy Shazam. What a fantastic way to begin SXSW 2012! Tomorrow officially begins the madness, so I thought I’d share with you my top 10 picks for the week:
- Twin Atlantic- if there is one band I try to see every time they play in Austin it will be Scottish rockers, Twin Atlantic. No matter that I’ve seen them three times in the past month. Their CD, Free, has a problem leaving my car stereo. Catch them at The British Embassy (512 San Jacinto) Friday night at 11pm.
2. Queen Caveat– This dynamic rock quartet from LA just released a new EP, Slap on the Wrist, and I cannot wait to see them turn heads and make even more new fans with their energetic live performance. Check them out at The ATN Showcase at The Bayou Lounge (500 E 6th St) Friday night at 10pm
3. The Silent Comedy– There is no greater joy than dancing with friends at a The Silent Comedy show. Some of my best memories from SXSW 2011 surround this folk-rocking band from San Diego. Only makes sense that 2012 will be a repeat. See them play the rooftop at Whole Foods Friday at 5:15.
4. The Milk Carton Kids- missing a Milk Carton Kids show is simply not acceptable in my book. This duo sing songs so beautiful my heart melts every time. They are only playing one show, The Hotel Café showcase at St. David’s (301 E 8th St.) Friday night. The line-up at this show also boasts other LMN faves such as Meiko, The Lumineers, LP, and Rachel Yamagata. The Milk Carton Kids play at 9pm.
5. We Are Augustines- I’ve been meaning to see this NYC-based band for some time now. I am MOST excited to finally get the opportunity in Austin. Their first show is 10pm Tuesday night at Antone’s (213 W 5th St). Seems like a great way to start the week to me…
6. Tournament of Hearts– Tournament of Hearts is my pick for best unknown band to check out. That’s what SXSW is all about, right? These rockers from LA are in Austin to show the industry that they are a band to watch. Watch them at The Bayou Lounge Thursday at noon (500 E 6th St)
7. Glen Hansard- The Swell Season puts on one of the best shows I have ever seen. It’s something about the way Glen can convey such emotion in his songs. I’m looking forward to seeing him solo Thursday 3:30 at Antone’s (213 W 5th St.)
8. Maverick Sabre- Two years ago Maverick Sabre captivated me with his song “I Need”. This past year this Englishman finally released his full length album which I looove. I saw he was playing sxsw this year an instantly blocked out my schedule. Catch him at The British Embassy Saturday night at 11pm.
9. Marcus Foster– Marcus Foster has already sold out two shows at The Hotel Café later this month. I failed to get a ticket so I must catch him at SXSW. I’m aiming for 9pm Weds night at Maggie Mae’s Rooftop (323 E 6th St).
10. Dead Sara- Dead Sara has been one of my favorites for some time now. Their debut album comes out in April and they are already getting so much buzz they can no longer play smaller venues in LA. SXSW may be the last time I get to see them up close in awhile. Can’t miss that! Catch them play alongside some other fantastic LA bands at the Buzzbands showcase at Freehouse (700 W 6th St.) 1:30 Weds afternoon.
As for tomorrow, some anticipated highlights include We Are Augustines (10pm) and Band of Skulls (11pm) at Antone’s (213 W 5th St) and fiN at The British Music Emassy (Latitude 30- 512 San Jacinto)
Ok, now time for my 3 hour “nap”