Looking for new tunes? Here’s what’s is in my shopping basket today:
The Script – #3
The Script is pretty solid when it comes to delivering radio-friendly pop/rock anthems. I anticipate nothing less from their newest album, #3, especially based on the reception it has already had since its release in their native, Ireland. Their first single, “Hall of Fame” features will.i.am and seems a slight departure for the pop crooners, but listening to the album (which you can do here http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/1), I have been reassured that while the band continues to grow on their musical journey (there is a bit more of this rap-interlude business), they still have plenty of that emotional, melody-driven core that drew many fans, including myself, in at the start. I’m already a fan of their next single, “Six Degrees of Separation”.
Freelance Whales – Diluvia
Brooklynites, Freelance Whales, play the kind of music that might color a dreamscape; not necessarily happy, not necessarily sad, but always with a twinge of fantasy that makes it feel like you’re not quite in a reality. Streaming the new album (which can be done on their website), I’d say fan will be happy with this sophomore effort. I’ll put it on my shopping list and look forward to their next show. The band comes to the El Rey Theatre in LA October 16th.
Bad Books – Bad Books II
Who doesn’t love a super group? Well, at least this one between Kevin Devine and Manchester Orchestra seems to have worked out pretty well to my ears. Their second offering, Bad Books II, again does a great job of blending the more quirky indie sensibilities of Kevin Devine with the rousing rock beats and vocals of Andy Hull and Manchester Orchestra. Check the band out live this Wednesday at The Troubadour. If you’ve seen either of these acts before, you know it’s going to be a good show.
Other CDs to check out today:
- The Paragraphs – +/- http://thereisnothingyoucando.viinyl.com/
- The Wallflowers- Glad All Over http://www.thewallflowers.com/
- Ellie Goulding – Halcyon http://elliegoulding.com/
- Coheed and Cambria – Afterman: Ascension http://www.coheedandcambria.com/
- Tame Impala- Lonerism http://www.tameimpala.com/
- The Old 97’s – Too Far To Care http://old97s.com/
- Nonpoint – Nonpoint http://www.nonpoint.com/
- Ty Segall – Twins http://ty-segall.com/
- Electric Six – Absolute Pleasure http://www.electricsix.com/
- All Time Low – Don’t Panic http://www.alltimelow.com/